The Lego Madhouse and Me


Welcome to The Lego Madhouse,

My name is Christopher Pearce, perhaps better known as CapnRex101 throughout the online Lego community. I am based in the UK and recently decided that I would embark on a somewhat ambitious project, that being to create my own MOC of Arkham Asylum.

On this blog I will document my progress surrounding the MOC, from initial designs to build pictures right through to the finished article, as well as giving some of my views on more general Lego news and sets.

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Arkham Asylum - Construction Concept Two..

In a continuation of my previous post, here is the second in my series of small models demonstrating the look I hope to achieve in some areas of my Arkham Asylum MOC. You can see in the images below that I plan to use mostly dark greys and greens, although I will likely disperse a bit of light bluish grey through these cliffs to add a bit more variety and break up the colour. This particular model, like my last, was built with a fairly narrow selection of parts, so in the final version, expect some improvement. Once I have made my first Bricklink orders, which as I have previously mentioned will consist in the main of rock pieces, I will try and post another little model built with an improved inventory of pieces.


Due to my inexperience in the field I have recruited the assistance of one or two experienced cliff builders over the last couple of weeks who were able to give me plenty of tips on creating realistic and organic rock shapes (which is easier said than done if you ask me). Nevertheless, any opinions on the model I am showing here and how I could improve my technique on constructing rocks are most welcome in the comments.


By my next post I should have some Bricklink related news to bring you, so stay tuned for that, at last I can get down to some proper building of the first section. In the meantime, I have opened an account over at Flickr, there is not much to see there at the moment, but when I start building I will be posting loads of images over there hopefully as well as here at The Lego Madhouse so keep an eye on it.

4 comments:

  1. If you feel like getting additional help in rock building techniques, I suppose this guy could be able to help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blake-foster/7974780679/in/faves-nabii/

    Pretty impressive if you ask me. He's an actual designer for TLG, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, I know Mark a little from Brickset, he has some great work and looks to be experienced with rock building, which is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Wait, I'm confused. I'm sure the crater was by lego_nabii/Mark when I made that comment, but checking the link again I can see that it's actually by Blake Foster and just faved by Mark. Odd. And it seems I have confused you too in the process. Sorry for the inconvenience.

      Here's some more impressive rock formations to make up for it ;) http://www.flickr.com/photos/-infomaniac-/7422274286/in/photostream/

      Delete
    3. I have already consulted infomaniac and received some tips on both that incredible rockwork and those equally fantastic trees. Thanks.

      Delete