The Lego Madhouse and Me


Welcome to The Lego Madhouse,

My name is Christopher Pearce, perhaps better known as CapnRex101 throughout the online Lego community. I am based in the UK and recently decided that I would embark on a somewhat ambitious project, that being to create my own MOC of Arkham Asylum.

On this blog I will document my progress surrounding the MOC, from initial designs to build pictures right through to the finished article, as well as giving some of my views on more general Lego news and sets.

Monday 4 February 2013

Arkham Asylum - Building Cliffs...

To construct the kind of island seen in the Batman: Arkham Asylum video game, vast and sheer cliffs are required, and building such things can be easier said than done. An example of how the cliffs look in that video game is shown below, with the brightness turned up a little to make everything a bit clearer.

Screenshot from the Batman: Arkham Asylum Video Game
Therefore, having encountered some challenges in creating these kinds of cliffs, I have consulted a few people who I consider have shown off a particular talent for creating rock walls in Lego. One such person who I have spoken to is Simon Pickard, creator of this brilliant MOC recreating the Battle of Thermopylae which includes some very impressive rock walls. He, among others, gave me some excellent tips on this aspect of Lego construction, particularly on how to make these notoriously fragile type of walls as sturdy as possible. This will be key for my model as a great deal of weight will need to be supported.

However, more advice is needed, so if you have any suggestions or advice on building rock walls, please post a comment below and help me out on this.

2 comments:

  1. While I can't probably help you on the rocks themselves, seeing that you seem to have already gotten advice from the master, I do, however, have some suggestions for details to make it look more interesting; there should be a lot of plants (obvious, really) crow's nest(s) would look good in my opinion, and I think it would be really great if there was a waterfall, streaming through a hole in the wall. It would be really fitting if the waterfall would actually start from the ceiling/wall of the Batcave, (at least look like if it was) continuing as a stream, and then turning into a waterfall again outside on the cliffs. And I'd still like to see the stairs running down to a dock. ;)

    As a general suggestion, an idea of having a lot of "easter eggs" in the MOC since Rocksteady, the makers of the game, seems to love easter eggs. Perhaps even the warden's secret office?

    Oh, and tall were you planning the cliffs to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions, the waterfall idea is a particularly good one and I will certainly be taking that further. After a recent visit to the Lego Shop in Brighton I have managed to pick up some 600 1x1 and 1x2 trans-clear plates, which would be great for that and the water around the island. They all fitted into a single one of the promotional pick-a-brick boxes which were given out with purchases of over £50 in the run up to Christmas.

      Plenty of Easter Eggs will be included, rest assured.

      I was thinking about somewhere between 60 and 80cm, it very much depends on how stable I can make it as the weight supported on top will be substantial of course. I also need to decide how I might go about allowing the inside of the island to be accessible, I am considering hinging the entire island or having removable ceilings(or both).

      Delete