The Lego Madhouse and Me


Welcome to The Lego Madhouse,

My name is Christopher Pearce, perhaps better known as CapnRex101 throughout the online Lego community. I am based in the UK and recently decided that I would embark on a somewhat ambitious project, that being to create my own MOC of Arkham Asylum.

On this blog I will document my progress surrounding the MOC, from initial designs to build pictures right through to the finished article, as well as giving some of my views on more general Lego news and sets.

Tuesday 29 January 2013

DC Super Heroes Exclusives Part Two...

In the second part of my look at the Super Heroes exclusives which have been released over the years, I will be focusing on the five newest of those, which have become available in just the last couple of years upon the release of the new DC Super Heroes line.

The first three of these were released in 2011, Batman in his costume from The Dark Knight film, Green Lantern as he appears in his own feature film, and Superman, who is in fact identical to the Minifigure that appears in set 6862, Superman Vs. Power Armour Lex. Batman and the Green Lantern were both available at the New York and San Diego Comic Cons, limited edition to 1000 at each convention. Superman however was only present at the New York Comic Con. Each figure comes mounted on a piece of card which advertises a stop-motion animation competition in the style of a newspaper. These figures tend to sell at around the £130 mark, and are superb Minifigures (particularly Batman) in my opinion.


The next year, two more DC exclusives were released alongside a couple of Marvel comics Minifigures as well, Shazam (or Captain Marvel) and Bizarro. Once again, both were placed on card backing and were limited edition to 1000 at both the San Diego and New York Comic Cons. These Minifigures also tend to sell at a high price, anywhere upwards of £100 generally, although there are bargains to be had out there of course if you can find them.



The Minifigures are indeed excellent, but the fairly extortionate cost is rather off putting, so quite what is it that drives people (including myself) to pay these kinds of prices? Well my response is two fold, more obviously most Super Heroes Minifigure completists are going to view these items as must haves or their collection will obviously be left incomplete. However, if you buy at the right time (or of course are simply lucky enough to win them in the raffle), a great deal of money can be made on these I think. If you purchase the Minifigures soon after their release, you often find them at lower prices in my experience.

I have luckily been able to pay under £100 for each of the Green Lantern, Batman, Bizarro and Shazam Minifigures (since the Superman Minifigure is not exclusive, I do not see that as a must have personally), in the main due to the timing of my purchases, which was very soon after their release.

This summer the New York and San Diego Comic Cons will be running again as usual, but whether we will see any more exclusives this year remains a mystery for the moment, we will just have to wait and see.

In my next article I will go back to discussing my progress on the Arkham Asylum MOC, as the final hours count down on the poll running, if you have not voted yet and plan to do so, make sure to do so soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment